Callum woke up last night/this morning about 1:30 in a lot of pain. He said his ear really hurt.
Thankfully, my children haven't had very many ear aches and it had been so long since any have had an ear ache, so I got the computer out Googled home remedies to soothe ear aches. I remember my mom putting oil-soaked cotton balls in my ears, and come to find out--that is still a good solution. (I asked the doctor today & she agreed). It also suggested to put a heating pad or heated rice sock on the ear. (again the doctor agreed that heat helps soothe the pain)
So last night/this morning, I stumbled around in the bathroom "looking" (as much looking as you can do with only a night light--I didn't want to wake Rusty up) for a cotton ball. I couldn't find one (with my hands) so I pulled out some cotton make-up wipes (that I rarely use since I rarely wear make-up).
Then I heated up a little olive oil, dipped the cotton in it, carefully put it in his ear, placed the heating pad on his ear & gave him Tylenol. Soon the moaning & groaning of pain went away & Callum fell asleep.
So this morning I called the doctor to get an appointment. I decided that I would go to Rexburg to pick Ethan's computer up. His computer crashed last Friday--and won't turn on. (I was going to try to take his computer in on Thursday, but today was better!)
We left before lunch, and when we went to pick Ethan's computer up, he decided to go with us. (Callum was excited to see Ethan's apartment!) I was relieved that his computer is still under warranty so it will be covered. They will have to replace his hard drive & we hope it will be done by the weekend.
After filling out all the paperwork for the computer, we had just enough time to get to the doctor's office for Callum's appointment. They got us in quickly, the doctor came right in, and confirmed what we all knew--he has an ear infection. So we went to Wal-Mart and finally at lunch (around 3!!). Thankfully I had enough snacks for the boys so they weren't starving. The prescriptions were going to take about 1/2 hour, so we did our shopping, got the medicine & discovered we had just enough time to get 1/2 price drinks from Sonic.
I didn't get a drink since I am still sugar-free, and as of Feb. 1st--pop free also. We had forgotten to get Ethan's milk, so we made a quick stop at WinCo & then headed back to Rexburg. We got Ethan's groceries /shopping items unloaded, he grabbed his backpack & I drove him to his science class.
I'm thankful that Callum got some medicines to help him, and that Ethan's computer is under warranty & we won't have to pay anything to get it repaired. I would have liked to get a little more housework done, but amazingly, the mess (and a bit more) was still there when I got home.
On the positive side: Brienna made dinner for us--homemade macaroni & cheese & hot dogs & I made a salad to go with it.
1 comment:
wow, you and I are having a run of illness. I had no idea that warm oil would sooth an ear ache. making mental note of that one.
Sugar free since Feb 1st, let me give you a big round of applause. You have inspired me. I will start today! Sugar free in 2011! I need to get away from all the sugar, treats and start working out. After all my Dr. did tell me to drop some weight and would feel better along with not getting sick so often. Breaking habits can be hard to do.
Post a Comment