Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Scripture Power

A while ago, I said that I worked on a project for the Primary children--an incentive to help them remember to read their scriptures.
So we covered Crystal Light containers (or the off-brand) with card stock & glued "Scripture Power" on the front.  Then we filled them up with bubble gum. 
 At the activity, the kids got to pick their container & put their name on it.  They also decorated the front of a notebook for to use as their church journals.
And here is the poem that went with the bubble gum jars.  (we got this off of Sugardoodle.net)   In case you can't read it, it says:

Scripture reading is lots of fun....
'Specially while chewing bubble gum!
Read the scriptures while you chew,
And when the flavor's gone....
You're Through!!!

We also have a monthly scripture chart the kids can color & bring to church for a small treat.  So I have been studying the scriptures each day--in addition to our family scripture study.  Yes--I mean "study" & not "reading"--we are trying to teach the children to study the scriptures & learn from them.  Not to just "read" them.

Callum took the challenge seriously:  the first day, he put the gum in his mouth & we did family scriptures.  Then after prayer, he opened his scriptures & kept reading.  I asked him what he was doing.  He said his gum still had flavor so he was going to keep reading!  I guess the gum is working!

2 comments:

Jenny Lynn said...

This is such a cute I idea, I am going to "kopie"(copy) it for my family. I have been wanting to find a way to get our family back reading scriptures. This would be a wonderful way.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

jannalee said...

That is a really great idea!