Saturday, January 22, 2011

Baking on Our Wood Stove

For Christmas, we got a fun new "gadget"--a Dutch oven dome.  It is meant to be used camping on a cook stove, but we have been wanting to try to find an oven that goes on top of our wood stove.

 So this is the metal plate.
And here is the dome.
And here is the bread that came off the stove--well, I baked 2 of the loaves on the wood stove.  The other 2 I baked in the oven.  Bet you can't tell the difference!!!
 So I am excited that it worked.  And not only did it work, but it didn't take as long as baking in our oven.
 So Brienna decided to make cupcakes (from scratch) & we baked those on the oven.  Don't they look yummy!!!  The first dozen we baked for 18 minutes, and just as the timer rang, I could smell burnt cupcakes.
But it was only the bottoms.  So for the next 6, we set the timer for 15 minutes, and they were not as done, but still a little too crispy on the bottom.  The last 6, I set the timer for 12 minutes & they were perfect!

So now we need to buy a dutch oven trivet so the metal plate is just a little bit higher off the wood stove.  

And we have baked pizzas & pizza pockets on the wood stove too.  I can't wait to bake some more goodies!  

4 comments:

Sondra said...

That is seriously soooooo cool. I've never seen anything like that! I'm going to have to check it out. What a wonderful preparedness gift.. cooool!

Jenny Lynn said...

That is so neat that there is a way for you to cook on your wood stove. I have always wondered if you could actually cook on them.

jannalee said...

Wow, that is really neat!

Jen said...

So cool! I remember cooking on wood stove, back in the day, at my home growing up. It seems to make cooking and baking funner!