Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Emotional Few Weeks, Part 2

Our oldest daughter, Brienna has been monitored for almost 2 years by a back doctor. She was diagnosed with scoliosis when she was in the 6th grade & we initially went to Boise, ID to see this doctor. He comes to Idaho Falls about every 2 months for clinic, so we are fortunate not to have to travel across the state to see the doctor.
For all of the appointments, Brienna gets a few x-rays of her back, we see the doctor, he tells us nothing has changed, and then sees us in 4 months.
Well, when we went in on July 17th, everything had changed
Her curve had progressed by 7 degrees & the curvature was now above the "just watch, wait & see" point. He recommended her wearing a back brace immediately.
There is no cure for scoliosis. You can only stop it's progression, & work on keeping the spine in a better position when growing. Brienna is just starting her growth spurt, so we set up an appointment to get her cast for a back brace.
She was quite upset (rightfully so), & we have had tons of crying times at our house (mom & dad too).
Her brace is a bit different than this one--I'll have to take a picture & post it another time. Right now, feelings are quite tender, & we are having an emotional roller coaster ride while dealing with this fact of life.
She does understand that if we don't stop the progression now, then back surgery would required in the next few years. So while she KNOWS that, her heart is having a hard time coping.
Thankfully, she is able to gradually build up to wearing the brace for the required 20 hours/day--started at 2 hours on day 1, 3 hours on day 2, etc.
But because of the curvature of her back, she has part of her brace go under one armpit to make her lift that shoulder. When she lifts that shoulder, the other shoulder drops, & the brace is digging into that armpit. She was trying to "cheat" & slouch forward (so the poky part of the brace wasn't under her arm), so I got an appointment tomorrow afternoon to see if we can pad the brace or trim even 1/4 inch from the other side.
So if you know us, (& even if you don't), please keep my children in your prayers.

3 comments:

Jayleen said...

Michelle,

I'm so sorry for all your trials. Is this like the brace that Janalee wore? I remember when she had to wear that brace for a LONG time. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Your not catching a break. I am keeping you in my prayers.

jannalee said...

I'm sorry that Brienna has to go through the same thing I did. It will be hard at first, but I know she can get through it. I will keep you all in my prayers. And if Brienna or you have any questions, you can call me anytime. I love you all!