Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Strawberry Jam

I am finally posting the pictures of the family making Strawberry Jam last week. With my neck bothering me, I think it would have taken me from sun-up to sun-down to finish if everyone wouldn't have pitched in!!
Emmalee really wanted to mash every strawberry, so she helped with almost every cup full :)


Callum loves to pitch in with most anything (thanks Columbo!!)
Surprisingly, no one argued about "having" to help with the jam.


Zane thought it was fun to pound the strawberries--therefore I had to treat his strawberry-splattered white shirt (thankfully it isn't that nice of a shirt).


Brienna decided to put one of my aprons on to smash/pound the strawberries.


Ethan doesn't like his picture taken--so this is probably the only one that he is facing the camera. Most of the other ones are of the back of his head. (I don't know which one is better--the hand, or the back of the head??)


After I got the first batch going, Rusty took over with chopping the strawberries up, so I could focus on cooking the jam & processing the jars.


Brienna took a lot of these pictures--I didn't even know that she took them!


Benjamin even had to pitch in--or attempt to help.

He's trying to get the container of sugar. (I actually use turbinado sugar--a raw crystallized sugar).

My husband is the best!!! I think the jam tastes so YUMMY because it was a family effort!

I didn't have a lot of small jam jars, plus with 7 or us eating the jam, a small jam jar doesn't go far. So I decided to use my pint jars for most of the batches.
Rusty said it was the best batch of jam we had ever made. I have switched to the no/low sugar pectin & I didn't use white sugar. It was sooo delicious. Now I have to make some bread to go with it (SOMEDAY).

3 comments:

Jen said...

Ouch! I hope your neck feels better soon!

I may have to fake an injury to get my family to pitch in and make some jam!

Now I'm craving jam on homemade bread!

Erin said...

My kids helped me make strawberry jam just last week. But we only made two batches. How fun that the entire family pitched in!

Anonymous said...

I was hopeful that your neck might be feeling better.

I am looking forward to making some jam this year. Yours looks yummy!!!