Sunday, March 1, 2009

Van update


It's fixed!! Rusty put the new radiator in on Friday, and we drove it around town Friday and Saturday morning.


I decided to take Brienna (& Benjamin) into town to watch "Twilight" and do a little bit of shopping. We loaded up, drove to the interstate ramp, and that's when I tried to accelerate--35, 40....engine revving....45...sounds terrible--the engine is not shifting. Shooot!! I am on the interstate, can't turn around, and the van isn't working!!


No "Twilight" movie--I can't drive 17 miles to the nearest exit pushing 40.

So I use the "Authorized & Emergency Vehicles Only" turn around about 3 miles out. (I know, I'm not allowed to use this road, but it would be an emergency if I burned up the transmission!!!) Putt, putt---back home.

My husband was outside, and was surprised to see me back so soon. I figured that the transmission was ruined too (not just the radiator). But he said he hadn't put any more transmission fluid in because he thought not much had drained. So he checked the level, filled it up, took it for a test run (just on the highway, not the interstate) and within 15 minutes, we were back on the road heading to see "Twilight"!!! :)

We first stopped at Sonic for 1/2 price drinks, then shopped a bit at Wal-Mart, bought Brienna some more material for sewing projects, and then went to the movie!!!


Benjamin nursed through most of the movie, so I was actually able to sit through the whole movie! Great movie, now I just need to read the book (I have read the first 2 pages--just haven't had a lot of time yet for a book).

When I read a book, I like to have big chunks of time to read, and read, and read, and read :)

So--it was a great Saturday--the van IS running (thankfully), the girls saw the chick flick (and got some shopping & dinner date in), and I got a break from home!

4 comments:

Sondra said...

Oooooh I just hate car problems! I'm glad you sent an update to the bird in your radiator. I'm glad you didn't get stuck on the highway. I'm sure it was OK to use the emergency exit - wasn't that an emergency (it would be to me).

I LOVE the Twilight books - the movie was so-so ... only because I LOVE the whole story in the books. Actually, I am totally adicted to Twilight (you've probably guessed from my blog).

I hope you don't have any more problems with your van..

Sondra said...

Oooooh I just hate car problems! I'm glad you sent an update to the bird in your radiator. I'm glad you didn't get stuck on the highway. I'm sure it was OK to use the emergency exit - wasn't that an emergency (it would be to me).

I LOVE the Twilight books - the movie was so-so ... only because I LOVE the whole story in the books. Actually, I am totally adicted to Twilight (you've probably guessed from my blog).

I hope you don't have any more problems with your van..

chelle said...

So glad you got it all worked out in time for the movie. We have not seen it yet. I will keep my fingers cross for your van. m

Kate said...

I am glad that the van is running again. Sounds like you had a good time.