Thursday, July 24, 2014

Day 10--Smith farm & Sacred Grove

 The Smith's log cabin.  They later built a bigger home, but then their mortgage was call due in full, so they were forced to move back to the log cabin. 
 a Bible (same time period) that the Smith family would have read out of. (Turned to James 1)
 the Smith larger home (Moroni appeared to Joseph in the upstairs bedroom--it is no longer accessible since there is not an extra exit & not up to fire code).  I'm glad I was able to visit upstairs when I was a youth.
 the hearth where the gold plates were hid
 I love the fireplaces & ovens!
 looking into the cooper shop
 getting ready to walk into the grove of trees.
 the kids walked ahead of us.
 entering the sacred grove.  you could hear the birds & insects chirping.
 it is about 15-20 degrees cooler.
it was so peaceful!
then it started to rain--and we could stand under the trees and hardly get wet.  Then the heavens opened & it poured.  So the water started running off the trees so I was getting soaked.  Plus I started to follow the "exit" signs--and it actually took me back to where I entered, instead of back to where we parked.  So then I had to take a different path back to the parking.  So needless to say, I was soaked to the bone & muddy up the back of my legs.  And so were the kids.  So we went into the bathroom & cleaned up the best we could.  I was able to get dry clothes out for the kids to change into (since their suitcases are on top), but the rest of us just dried out in the vehicle.  I don't think the kids will forget their experience at the Sacred Grove!

No comments: