Friday, December 23, 2011

When it Rains, It Pours

I told Rusty we need to one or all of the following:  build an ark, buy flood insurance and/or always carry an umbrella with us.

Because now our dishwasher is not working--(sad face).  Last night I started a load of dishes, then went to read/put the 2 youngest to bed.  I planned on putting the dishes away last night & then starting another load before I went to bed.  We had a lot of dishes because I had been baking a lot, and the kids had decorated/frosted cookies & put the on a few pans & containers.  Plus we had bowls from frosting and frying pans from dinner.
So Rusty took the door apart to see if he could figure out the problem.  After an hour, he decided that it had been a long enough day, and he would look some things up on the internet to see what else he could check.  So no "quick" fix for the dishwasher!

Brienna had already washed a load of dishes earlier, so I finished washing & had 4 dish-drainer loads & then put the rest of the pans on the stove to dry.  At least my hands are nice & clean!

As I was washing the dishes, I was thinking that I should be grouchier/grumpier than I am because of all the challenges that have come our way--but I'm not.  I guess I am taking them with a grain of salt & looking at the bigger picture--at everything I am blessed with.  I was reminded of the article in the Dec. 2011 Ensign magazine about "Choosing to be GRATEFUL" and I realized I truly AM grateful.  

So if we (well, Rusty) can't fix the dishwasher, such is life & we'll live through washing dishes a couple times a day (my parents never had & still don't have a dishwasher).  

I believe that we really are "spoiled" and have some many "luxuries" that I need to be grateful that all of our "needs" are so fully covered.  We have a warm home, good health, & plenty of food in our food storage & freezers.  Everything else is just a bonus!



2 comments:

jannalee said...

That's great that you have such a positive attitude about everything! By the way, did the dishwasher get fixed?

Jenny Lynn said...

I feel your discomfort right now since my dishwasher was replaced and still is not working. Really long story. Anyways, I have been washing dishes by hand. My hands are really clean too!