We have had sickness in our home for most of February.
Benjamin has been sick since Wednesday, so when he was still running a fever Sunday, had a cough & no appetite, I decided to call the doctor Monday morning.
Callum also woke up with a fever, & Emmalee still had her fever (since Friday).
So I piled all 3 sick kids in the van after lunch & drove to town.
This is Friday--Zane also has been sick most of February. He missed a couple days of school. He still isn't 100 percent, but he if feeling better.
At the doctor's, no one was running a fever (of course), but they all had that "wonderful" cough.
Emmalee was probably on the path to RSV, but since she hasn't been sick very long, they hope they caught it in time. They gave her a stong cough medicine & told me to watch for the other signs of RSV. And to put a humidifier in her room.
Callum was given medicine for his wheeziness (a stronger asthma medicine for a couple of weeks), an antibiotic for what is probably bronchitis, & a few breathing treatments with the Nebulizer.
Callum was a trooper & used the nebulizer all by himself. They checked his oxygen levels & they were at 92. 90 is the "warning" point. Most of the time our oxygen levels are close to 100.
We borrowed Grandpa Stewart's portable machine (he uses a nebulizer every day).
The doctor was pretty sure Ben had RSV just from hearing his cough. But they swabbed his nose & tested him for RSV (came back positive). His oxygen levels were 87--low but not low enough to hospitalize him. Plus he wasn't dehydrated--thankfully he still nursed well while he has been sick. On top of that, he also has an ear infection (but hasn't been playing with his ear).
Benjamin wasn't so cooperative with his breathing treatments. This was the 1st attempt. He is trying to eat the mask.
Although this looks like he is holding the mask, he is really trying to pull it away from his face. I finally waited until he fell asleep, then gave him the treatment. I'm not sure what I am going to do in the morning. He is supposed to have 3 treatments a day. I think I can do the last 2 during nap time & at bedtime, but I guess we'll see what happens in the morning.
I think that shopping with 3 sick kids (while waiting for the prescriptions) should be considered a work-out. I ended up getting more groceries that I first planned, so the check out was fun--Ben didn't want to sit in the shopping cart most of the 45 minutes in the store so I held him while manuvering the cart, putting groceries in, & loading them in the check-out!!! Fun, fun, fun!
I am just glad that we have medicines to hopefully help them get over their sicknesses!!

3 comments:
I'm sorry everyone has been sick! I hope the medicine helps the 3 little ones get better soon! And I'm sure you're worn out from taking care of them all! Give them get-well hugs and kisses from Aunt Janna Lee!
Oh no! Hope everyone is feeling better soon!
I had pneumonia a couple weeks ago and had to use a nebulizer for a week. No fun! Your kids are champs for taking it so well!
Sending healthy vibes your way! With lots of prayers that everyone will be well soon.
Post a Comment