Monday, July 27, 2009

Curtains, 4-H, & Elmo????

Okay--I have other (more important) issues that I want to blog about, but right now it is late, & the other "items" are much, much more emotional, so I don't want to start when I am so tired.
But back to my title--this is just a little bit of what we have been doing the past few weeks.
First, Curtains.
Ethan's room has a huge bay window across one of the "walls", & he hasn't had curtains in there for about a year (I think). We had the blinds, but they broke with all the opening & shutting (plastic, boy-that-is-not-so-gentle=easily broke).
So I promised Ethan I would get some curtains made. He didn't care what they looked like, as long as they weren't "girly", & that they were DARK. He has been suffering in the heat of the morning (the window faces east), & most mornings the room is roasting by 9 am. We put a thermometer in there & it usually read 105 degrees or hotter (in the sun).
So I decided to use the flannel I bought on clearance a few years ago ($1/yard). And then I thought I would quilt the 2 sides so it would be thick & keep the heat out/in (depending on season). That room gets so hot in the summer, but doesn't heat up very well in the winter.
Brienna was our babysitter, while we got the quilting stands out & the curtains on them.
Callum had to try his hand at quilting.

Ethan played the DS (hand-held game) while we were quilting (and helped with Benjamin & Emmalee).

Pamela tied, cut, trimmed, & played with Benjamin. We did this the week Rusty & Zane were at scout camp (so I didn't have to "cook" meals).

Everything takes so much longer to do than originally planned. I thought we could whip these up & be done in a day!

But finally 2 weeks later, the finished project--Ethan & I got the rod up today & the curtains up. I'll have to report on the temperature tomorrow morning!

Last week, Callum had 1st year cake decorating for 4-H. And he had sooo much fun. He is quite artistic, & this is what he got to bring home. His project for judging is a "foam" cake, that is white, with brown decorations (a puppy dog). I forgot my camera when I picked him up, so I'll have to take pictures at the county fair.

His puppy cake

Cupcakes using different candy--& one has a rose made out of starbursts!

He sure is proud of his final project!

We got this Elmo doll that plays the guitar from the DI (I love used bargains!)

Benjamin was fascinated with him (and still is). He thinks they are best buddies!





And here they are, deep in conversation!
Hopefully I'll get a chance to post a few more photos & up dates in the near future!!!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Great job on the curtains! It seems that every project I undertake ends up taking longer than expected. Still, it's worth the work- the curtains are cute AND functional!

jannalee said...

The curtains look great and I'm sure Ethan appreciates them! Callum's cupcakes and cake look awesome! I bet they were yummy, too! Benjamin is so cute playing with Elmo!